Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Welcome to Art Smarts!

As a long time professional painter and artist (over 25 years now!), I've decided to supplement My Daily Painting Blog which is primarily for my collectors, friends, and art students with this blog dedicated to marketing your art as an artist.

Let me start by saying that in addition to being a professional artist, I also hold a Master's Degree in Marketing and have worked in marketing and branding for my entire "non-art" career. Over the years, I've sold over 100 paintings through festivals, online, and through word of mouth.

Yes, the economy is tough right now and that may not translate into fantastic art sales, but I strongly believe that there are art collectors out there looking to buy great art.

My first art marketing tip is to start a daily art blog if you haven't already done so. Just set aside a few hours and do it. Having an art blog is fun, it's motivating, and it helps to put you in the mind of your consumer.

The second is to track your visitors. I use StatCounter (it's a simple code you copy into your blog) and so far, I've been very happy with them. Almost immediately, you'll be able to see how your visitors are finding you, where they come from, etc. I''m pleased to report that my own blog traffic has tripled in just a matter of months with some simple marketing tips I'll share with you in upcoming posts.

Looking for more art marketing tips? Check out EmptyEasel.

In the meantime, be a smarter artist and start blogging!

No comments:

Post a Comment